Emotional support animals are used as a form of therapy for people who suffer from a wide range of different emotional, psychological and minor physical conditions.



Officially registering your pet as an ESA provides you with extra rights in terms of both housing and travel.

The Fair Housing Act is a civil rights law, which ensures that people who suffer from some form of disability aren’t discriminated against whilst seeking accommodation.

So, if you’re in possession of a genuine ESA letter and you’ve registered your pet then you have a lawful right to be allowed to live with your emotional support animal even in traditionally ‘non-pet’ housing.

However, there are exceptions – the law does not cover you if:

  • Your animal is too large for certain housing (pic of a horse)
  • The building has four units or less and one of them is occupied by the landlord
  • You’re applying to single family housing units that are sold or rented without a real estate agent

If you’d like to see if you qualify for an ESA letter, or to learn more about the laws surrounding ESA ownership, head over to our faq page!